Saturday, August 18, 2012

8 in 2012 Remembrance Run, Walk or Roll

Today I ran the Remembrance Run, Walk or Roll 8k at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu. It was a great race and I set a new PR of about 58 minutes due to the fact I fell in line behind a company running in formation and stuck behind them for a little over half the course. I went in just expecting to do a race but I was really struck by the emotional aspect of it. Most of the people running were part of the army and many more, in service and civilians alike were wearing shirts that said "In Remembrance of -". The entire route was lined with the boots and photos of fallen soldiers. That's another person, every 5 feet, for 5 miles.
USS Arizona in the background with the boots in the foreground

A huge thank you needs to be said to my wonderful Dad who, on the first day of a Hawaiian vacation got up at 5:15 am to drive me over to Ford Island. Another race done and only four left to meet my goal of 12 in 2012
Thanks Dad!
Hard to see, but the plane behind me says Hawaii on it

No comments:

Post a Comment