Thursday, January 24, 2013

Musee d'Orsay and Cafe Angelina

A late start to the day meant that we ate lunch at the Musee d'Orsay cafe rather than somewhere else first and then continuing on. The upstairs cafe has sit down service, and while the menu is somewhat limited and overpriced, the setting is quite fantastic. The room is alive and cheerful with a large clock taking up the entire wall. A fantastic ambiance overall, and the food wasn't bad either. 




Musee d'Orsay was created out of an old train station which accounts for the tall ceilings and expansive space. Musee d'Orsay is probably my favorite museum. I suffer from a severe afflication called "Museum Fatigue." The second I walk into a museum, I instantly get tired and want a nap. Musee d'Orsay is one of the few where this doesn't happen. The second floor contains many benches for a rest, in case I am hit with a case of the "sleepies."

They're in the midst of moving around some of the exhibits and so a lot of the impressionists works  are now on the top floor. It's a change I don't particularly care for, as I loved the ability to wander through the different rooms from painting to sculptures and back again. Once they've finished the installations it should be improved.



Afterwards we walked through the Tuileries to Rue Rivoli to get an afternoon pastry at Cafe Angelina. While they have astounding pastries, they are really known for the hot chocolate. Both Mom and Dad ordered the hot chocolate which allowed me to sample, but stick to the Cafe Angelina Tea which is kinder to my somewhat lactose intolerant stomach. However, we all got delicious pastries. No one was disappointed with our afternoon snack. 




No comments:

Post a Comment