Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Saint Chapelle and the Conciergerie

Texas, Senegal and Guadeloupe has significantly thinned out my blood, and I feel that I served my meteorological equivalent of jury duty with 3 winters in Kalamazoo, so I was not too thrilled about the snow and low temperatures that Paris had been experiencing. Luckily, it was no one's first trip to Paris, so we were not required to walk around outside too much and instead took shelter inside museums and beautiful churches. 

Our first visit of the trip was to Saint Chapelle, a gorgeous, airy feeling church in the center of town. 


While I loved the stained glass, I was particularly stuck by the star and fleur de lys covered ceilings. A feel they are a huge improvement on the typical stone work in churches. It added a brightness to the room, even on the decidedly dreary day. 



We stopped for lunch at a typical brasserie and to warm up a while, but afterwards we attacked the conciergerie. The Conciergerie is decidedly not on my "must-see Paris" list. However, I didn't know that until we visited, but oh well. There's not a whole lot going on there besides some scary old mannequins of prisoners in cell awaiting execution. It had interesting information about Marie Antoinette as she was held there for some her time before her execution but the rooms had changed so much in the intervening years, that they don't even know where exactly she stayed. 


There was also special exhibit they had about gothic buildings around Europe, that also extended to showing the influence in fictional works including Lego sets and Harry Potter. They lost me by that part of the exhibit. 

Even in the junky weather, it's hard to not love Paris when you have beautiful architecture like this around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment