1. Queen's Day celebrate Queen Beatrix and the royal family. The celebration is held on her mother's birthday, as Beatrix's January birthday does not have the same springtime fun as a late April celebration.
2. Earlier this year Beatrix announced her abdication of the throne to her son Willem-Alexander (as is typically done in the Netherlands). That means that April 29th was Queen's night and April 30 was more of a king's day, but no one really cared as long as they got to drink and dress in orange.
4. Amsterdam is FULL of people.
5. It's like a mix of tailgate, water/ boat parade, flea market, block party and a sports team celebration.
6. It's tons of fun.
7. Next year the celebrations will move to April 27th, Willem-Alexander's birthday.