Sunday, June 9, 2013

Ready. Set. (To)Go.

With less than 12 hours left before I have to leave the house, I still have odds and ends (ok, maybe a whole frying pan) sticking out of my suitcases, waiting to be tucked in and zippers closed.

In the 5 weeks I've been in the states, I've had an absolutely fantastic time. My goal was nothing more than to see great friends and family and to eat and drink well (which the 7lbs I gained can attest to!).

However in the 5 weeks that I've been back, I haven't really had time to slow down and take in the fact that I'm about to leave for Togo. I'm happy for my host family in Senegal, the crappy first year I had in France, going back to France and trying to all again (and succeeding!). I'm not totally prepared for what's about to come, but I'm not sure that anyone is.

There's been a lot of twists and turns, but I'm really happy about the path I took to get here. My original plan had been to join Peace Corps directly out of school. I wasn't ready for it then. I probably would have gotten through alright, but maybe not have taken advantage of all the opportunities, letting myself shy away and get closed in.

I don't have the same stomach turning fright that I had before I left for Senegal (a big thank you to Rebecca who talked me through all of it) but I can help but be a bit anxious.

With that, I need a good night's rest (ok, I still have stuff to cram into suitcases). Hopefully my next update will be from an airport or, even better, Togo!

No comments:

Post a Comment