Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Moving out and Moving in!

**I wasn't able to write a blog post right before we left for post, so here's an edited journal entry that better captures how I was feeling, rather than me trying to think back to what it was like.

I can't stop thinking about home. Not New Jersey, or Texas, of even Michigan or France. Since leaving for college I haven't lived in one place for more than a year ( Kalamazoo could have been, but I always left, and was happy to leave in the summers.)

As we approach our move out-date in Kpalime and our move in date for our new homes, many emotions come forth.

First of all, I'm happy to finally unpack my suitcases. I've been living out of a suitcase since mid-April, and really, even since I left Texas last May.

With the excitement of course comes fear. I'm overwhelmed by the idea of having to stay in one continent country–state village for two years. But then when I actually get to buy things without analyzing the cost/benefit of owning it for just a couple months my feet stop itching for a few moments.

To be able to see a lot, you always have to have something in the works. I've been planning for Peace Corps since before I left Texas, left for Guadeloupe, and for France. It's rather natural, that while my departure is two years away, I'm already thinking about where I want to make my home afterward.

I miss my friends and family, and I'm tired of always moving away. But it feels like there's just always more to see. Could a new adventure be waiting in Denver or Georgia? What about graduate school?


Most of all, how do I stop thinking ahead and be present in the moment? How do make where I already am, my home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment