Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lost in Translation

At the end of class, especially when my students are overflowing with energy, they like to asked me to translate differnet vocab words. The day had started out with a thick fog, so we quickly got into weather related words and phrases.

A typical punishment here is to tell a student to go stand in the sun. That might not seem too awful, and in comparrison to le baton, it's not, but remember that we are in Africa.

In any case, the students were shouting different things at me, but the one that stuck out above the rest was "Le soliel nous mange!" or "The sun is eating us!" I understood what the students were getting at, especially because I often feel like the sun is eating me, but it was still one of the funniest phrases I've heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment